Hooray for the dreaded time of year where I pick out the top five albums I’ve listened to over the past twelve months. Each week for 50 weeks, I listen to two albums. One is a new one (this year or the previous year) and one is an older one (from any time previous to that). So I can’t promise to have listened to every album that was released last year but of those I did, I’ve managed to narrow down five of the best.
- Letter to You by Bruce Springsteen
- Three. Two. One. by Lennon Stella
- folklore by Taylor Swift
- Heartbreak Weather by Niall Horan
- Such Pretty Forks in the Road by Alanis Morissette
Honorable mentions must go to The Chicks whose album Gaslighter was a really good but just perhaps too full of rage to make the top five, and to The Pretenders - I really love that Hate for Sale album but couldn’t quite squeeze into the top five.
The next step is to see if any of the 100 albums I listened to last year will fit into my top ten albums of all time. I’ll be honest, aside from the tasked albums each week, I haven’t done a lot of listening to music for pleasure, it’s not been my go to soothing balm in the current situation. But I do know there were only a couple of albums that are worthy of this updated list:
- Come On Over by Shania Twain
- Rumours by Fleetwood Mac
- Millennium by Backstreet Boys
- Parachutes by Coldplay
- Staying at Tamara’s by George Ezra
- Who Built the Moon? by Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds
- Chaleur Humaine by Christine and the Queens
- Days Are Gone by HAIM
- Achtung Baby by U2
- Storyteller by Carrie Underwood
Although I’m still of the mindset to not set resolutions, I probably should try and listen to more previusly enjoyed albums throughout the year. Let’s see how that goes!