For Your Eyes Only by Ian Fleming
Published April 22, 2021
- Title For Your Eyes Only
- Author Ian Fleming
- Year 1960
- Genres Adventure, Mystery, Espionage
Who killed an elderly couple in their Caribbean home? M knows exactly who did it, but the murderers will most likely escape through a twisted net of global politics. The solution? M. calls in a personal favour from a certain licensed killer who understands the kind of rough justice needed. Bond soon discovers he's not the only one on the hunt, and the lines between revenge and justice become blurred... Also includes the stories that inspired the films Quantum of Solace and From a View to a Kill.
I really liked this, James Bond works well in the short story format, potentially because there’s no time for all the in depth explanations of card games and golf courses. Bond’s interactions with women seemed a little better in this collection of stories too - he’s still the man that he is in the time he was written, but perhaps making a tiny step forward.
The book has five stories:
- From A View to a Kill (interesting story about tracking down a motorcycle dispatch murder)
- For Your Eyes Only (heading on a private assassination mission only to find competition in the trees)
- Quantum of Solace (A story after a boring dinner party)
- Risico (Drug smuggling on a boat and teaming up with the bad guys)
- The Hildebrand Rarity (a bored Bond gets involved in finding a rare fish)
They sound odd, but they really work!
Rating: 4 / 5