Google helps fix the things it broke

Published December 3, 2010

Google Turkish menu

Sometimes, when I load Google Reader, it turns Turkish. It’s been happening for a long time, and I have no idea why. All the settings I can see are set to English, but I must have hit a button at some point in the distant past that pointed it towards Turkey.

It happens on all different types of browser, on various gadgets, and on various internet connections, so it’s definitely a Google thing and not me.

It’s not so much of a problem really. All the feeds are in English, and I use a lot of shortcuts in Reader anyways. The only buttons that were a problem were the Mark All as Read, and the Send to Twitter options. I learnt where those were so I could navigate in English or Turkish. If I want to do something a bit more complicated, I’ll just wait until Google has reverted to my language again.

It’s slightly annoying, but also slightly amusing, and therefore I am not that bothered. I’d be happy if I could fix it, but I don’t really know what I’ve done to mess it up so I can live with it.

That was until I changed to Google Chrome. After suffering through a meltdown from a rather bloated Firefox, I finally gave in to Mr C’s chants for Chrome and made the switch. Upon reaching my Turkish Reader page, I was faced with this:

Google Turkish

NO! GOOGLE. I would like you not to have made it Turkish in the first place!

On any other page, this would be useful. On this one, it’s just rubbing my nose in it.

← Previous Live like a womble 5 - The WikiLeaks bunker
Next → Taste Twenty Trial - 5. Whyte & Mackay's whisky