I am coming out the other side of a very brief cold, which I am grateful for because I know it could have been a lot worse. However, there are so many things that annoy me about having a cold, and these are things that a doctor wouldn’t be able to help with.
- Sore nose. Forget the sniffing, coughing, and aching. The sore nose, developed from constant application of tissues, is the real killer. Last night I suddenly discovered I could breathe through my nose again, which makes a real difference when trying to sleep. Only I couldn’t, because it hurt too much.
- **Abundance of tissues. **Naturally, you go through a lot of tissues. Tissues are expensive. And they fill up the bins. And then you have to empty the bins, and go outside. And while you’re outside you might as well buy more tissues.
- **Boredom. **I couldn’t sleep, but I couldn’t really function to do anything either. I left work halfway through the day, and retired to bed, and all I can say is thank god for the iPod.
- Repeated questions. One of my few Tweets yesterday read: _“Yes I have a cold and no I didn’t go to Mexico over the weekend. It wasn’t funny the first time…” _Today I am programming: “Much better, thank you,” into my system.
- Lack of podcasting. Most of my hobbies involve speaking out loud in one form or another. This is not possible when you pronounce it: “Bormula One…d”
I know I am not alone in disliking illness - I mean, who does? But I think some people do take better to just relaxing in bed and allowing themselves to get better, whilst I am banging my head against a brick wall and cursing the waste of time.