One of the things keeping everyone going during lockdown is bonus quizzing from a variety of sources, and that has reminded me that I have been meaning to do a Mastermind update. I rarely pay attention to the quiz show, as good as it is, but just occasionally they pop up with a subject I love and then I can’t help but share the questions.
Previously celebrities have taken on Back to the Future, Friends and The Archers. This time, it was a non-celebrity edition and once again everyone’s favourite time travel trilogy was the specialist subject.
- In Back to the Future, Marty McFly travels to 1955 in a DeLorean DMC-12 car that Doc Brown has fitted with a Y-shaped electronic device that makes time travel possible. What’s the name of this device?
- Marty McFly escapes from terrorists in Back to the Future by driving the DeLorean back in time to 1955. What is the first the object car crashes into when he gets there?
- Who co-wrote the screenplay for Back to the Future with the director Robert Zemeckis? He was the sole author of the screenplays for the sequels.
- In all three films a member of the Tannen family crashes into a vehicle carrying manure. What surname is written on the side of the vehicle each time?
- What film starring Ronald Reagan and Barbara Stanwyck is showing at the cinema in Hill Valley when Marty arrives in the 1955 version of the town?
- Which actor was originally cast as Marty McFly and filmed some scenes before he was replaced by Michael J. Fox?
- What television channel that boasts “beautiful views 24 hours a day” starts playing when the ‘85 version of Jennifer is dropped off by police officers at the McFly family home in 2015?
- Which actress plays the role of Jennifer Parker, Marty McFly’s girlfriend, in Back to the future? The character was played by Elisabeth Shue in the two subsequent films.
- What is the name of the British costume designer for both Part II and Part III? She’d previously worked with Robert Zemeckis on Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
- The band Huey Lewis and the News contributed two songs to the soundtrack of the first Back to the Future film: The Power of Love and which other?
- In the first film Marty appears in his father’s bedroom claiming to be an alien called Darth Vader. What planet does he say he’s from?
- After Doc Brown passes out drunk in the saloon in Back to the Future Part III, the bartender Chester creates a drink as an alternative to coffee to sober him up. What’s the name of the drink?
- What brand is the lethal-looking hoverboard that Griff uses to chase Marty in Back to the Future Part II?
This is a real mixed bag of questions - I got the obvious ones but I had no clue of costume designers and had somehow missed that it was the same name on the manure company every time. I ended up with 9, which is a disappointing number. How did you get on? Answers here.