Before I started my weekly baking habit, I did try my hand at a few odds and ends, with a medium degree of success. A traditional Victoria Sponge was one of those that I attempted, and it didn’t turn out too badly. I had some odd crinkly edges to contend with but it was okay.
I thought, as I am now clearly a baker extraordinnaire, that I would try again and see if I could improve it any.
This time, the edges were not crinkly, although they were still nowhere near as smooth as I’d have liked. I did have a bit of an issue with the cooling wire rack messing up the top, so I took a tip from Mary Berry and liberally sprinkled it with icing sugar. I also think my butter cream may have been too buttery and not sugary enough, because if you left a slice alone too long, it would slip apart rather than stand on its own two feet.
Still work to be done here, I think.