Bought a ticket to the world

With all the current news and info emerging about the Apollo 11 mission – celebrating the 40th anniversary of the moon landings – it’s hard not to think about space travel and what the future of it is.

During a reunion of the Apollo 11 crew, Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong seemed to think that Mars should be the next destination. They also didn’t stop at dreaming up visits to the red planet but thought we should aim higher. Aldrin’s take on things:

“One day, we are going to send some people to the surface of Mars. And if we think we’re going to send them there for a year-and-a-half and then bring them back, and then send another group there for a year-and-a-half and bring them back, Washington will find another way to spend that money. That’s unless we have declared our objective is an increasing, permanent space settlement.”

Ooh, now that is interesting. Sending astronauts out with the express intention of them never returning. Colonising another planet has always been a staple of the science fiction genre, but in these experienced astronauts eyes, it should be the next step. Aldrin doesn’t even want us to bother with the moon anymore, although Armstrong thinks we should do some lunar testing before heading out into the depths of space.

So, the big question is – would you go? Regardless of whether you dreamt of being an astronaut as a kid or whether you could fit into a space suit right now, would you want to go up there and never come back? I guess there are three very generalised types:

1. Those that would definitely be the first on the rocket, let me up there, I care not for the risks.
  2. Those that are a bit more cautious – not the early adopter types – might wait until there’s actually been a successful mission first.
  3. Those that would rather sit on Earth and wait until there is no other option to climb aboard the escape rocket.

I reckon I am somewhere between two and three. I don’t really want to risk my life on it, but it does sound like quite the adventure. I don’t have any major responsibilities here on earth that would be preventative, but then again, I’m not really a fan of flying.

Where do you fit in on the scale of space adventure?

10 thoughts on “Bought a ticket to the world

1. Nick says:

I think i am defiantly in class number 1… As long as the rocket has broadband, get me up and out of here! 🙂

2. Lukeh says:

I think I would get Bruce Willis to go for me. He was very brave in Armageddon when they were in space and therefore my mind works in the way that it is actually real life, not a film.

That or point happily at the cool rocket ship.

3. Gavin Brown (RubberGoat) says:

The grass is always greener on the other side, but TBH I’m probably number 1, because even if they told me that if I went into space I would never return and may not even survive, I’d give everything for that chance. I’d even give up my man crush on Lewis Hamilton for it 😉

4. Steven Roy says:

We have to go and explore. It is what the human race does. I can see a lot of sense in setting up a lunar base to practise on and find out the problems. Better to practise three days from home than 18 months away but in the end it is a bit like camping in your garden.

We know one day this planet is going to get wiped out especially if Bruce Willis is not cryogenically frozen soon. So we have to develop the ability to get out of here.

Much as I would love to go into space I think I am probably in the second class rather than the first. Let someone else build a Mars base and install broadband then I will go and make use of the opportunity. The people who go first are adventurers but if they are first to go as far as Mars they will be builders and miners.

5. Jordan Allen says:

To me, it depends on who’s actually piloting the spacecraft…. If the spacecraft is under manual control, then I am quite happy to boot Buzz and Neil of the summit of flying and being the number 1 pilot.

If NASA has its way either a monkey’s going to have the honour of the first flight or worse yet, 50 baffoons in the NASA mission control centre is gonna control the flight remotely… and there’s no glory in that!

How’s that for a “The Right Stuff” answer !

6. RG says:

I would be the sceptical one who would watch the first mission and even though it works, still remain sceptical and pessimistic and just think it was a fluke and everytime until the earth has been invaded by scary aliens who are frying us to death and still remain sceptical and annoy everyone on the flight that this is going to be the one that crashes, even though it doesn’t.

7. Christine says:

These answers are really fascinating. So far we have what looks like:

Option 1 – 3 people
    Option 2 – 1 person
    Option 3 – 4 people

I should have run a poll 🙂

Comments are closed.